Home | All about HIOW | Members and Officers | Association meeting dates | Key documents | Links | Election Results | Responses | Best Value Network | Other Useful Information
Back to 1997 Meetings Index | Back to Agenda Page
ASSOCIATION OF HAMPSHIRE AND ISLE OF WIGHT LOCAL AUTHORITIES
28 November 1997
SOUTH OF LONDON 'PETAL'
Paper of the Policy Officer
That the Association notes the development towards co-operation across the southern six-county area within the south east region.
1. As a result of this Association's initiative, Local Authorities in the six county area from Hampshire to Kent are making progress in co-operating on a practical basis without setting up any formal joint arrangements. This is a "progress report" which has been noted by the Executive Committee of the South East Regional Forum.
2. Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council set up a meeting in July 1997 to consult on this issue. Twenty-two of the fifty-seven authorities in the area attended. The meeting concluded that constituent groups of authorities in the area should consider the following recommendations:-
(1) That co-operative arrangements be set up between all local authorities in the sub-region comprising Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Surrey, East and West Sussex and Kent.
(2) That the objective of those co-operative arrangements will be to assert the voice of local government and the interests of the area as appropriate in the South East Regional Forum, in other regional fora and in the Local Government Association.
RESULTS OF CONSULTATIONS
3. This Association and the Surrey and East Sussex LGAs have adopted the recommendations shown in paragraph 2. The West Sussex authorities plan to consider the matter and appear likely to accept the recommendations.
4. The Kent Association has decided not to adopt the recommendations but to maintain a watching brief and co-operate as necessary with other authorities/associations in the area.
DEVELOPMENT OF CO-OPERATIVE WORKING
5. One first (albeit relatively small) area of co-operation across this 'petal' is the initiative of the constituent authorities for Crawley Borough Council to host a regional meeting of the LGA Economic Regeneration Committee on a date to be fixed. This is a response to that Committee's decision to consult the regions. Further co-operation is expected to develop over subjects such as the RDA and regional guidance.
|Author:||Nick Goulder, Policy Manager|
|TOP OF PAGE|