Home | All about HIOW | Members and Officers | Association meeting dates | Key documents | Links | Election Results | Responses | Best Value Network | Other Useful Information
Back to 1997 Meetings Index | Back to Agenda Page
ASSOCIATION OF HAMPSHIRE AND ISLE OF WIGHT LOCAL AUTHORITIES
28 November 1997
SERPLAN - DEVELOPING A SOUTH EAST REGIONAL STRATEGY
Paper from the Policy Officer
(1) That the timetable for revision of the regional planning guidance be noted; and
(2) That the Chief Executives' Group reports further on developing our mechanisms for ensuring that the interests of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight are expressed as effectively as possible during SERPLAN's preparation of a regional strategy.
1. The Government White Paper on Regionalism and Regional Development Agencies (RDAs) is expected to be published in the next two weeks. In planning to set up RDAs, the Government has been aware of the need for a regional strategy within which the RDA will work. Richard Caborn, Minister for Regions, Regeneration and Planning, is looking to SERPLAN to advise him on the revision of the current regional planning guidance. In a letter to the Chair of the Members Policy Group of SERPLAN (Councillor Letheren of Wycombe) in August 1997 the Minister referred to "the importance of putting in place revised regional planning guidance as quickly as possible".
2. In the recent dialogue between Government and SERPLAN, a timetable has been agreed which will lead to a strategy "capable of providing the context within which the RDAs will be able to function and to prepare their economic strategies". SERPLAN aims to submit a regional strategy by September 1998. The extremely tight timetable and the key issues are set out in the Minister's letter of 22 October given in the Annex.
3. The timetable will undoubtedly create challenges for member authorities. The SERPLAN regional guidance will be of intense importance for members of Policy Committees as well as Planning Committees. It will be vital to develop our mechanisms to allow rapid responses to consultations from SERPLAN in such a way that the overall interests of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight are expressed as effectively as possible. As part of this process this Association will want to receive regular reports on the development of revised regional guidance.
Copy of Annex available on request
|Author:||Nick Goulder, Policy Manager|
|TOP OF PAGE|