Home | All about HIOW | Members and Officers | Association meeting dates | Key documents | Links | Election Results | Responses | Best Value Network | Other Useful Information
Back to 1999 Meetings Index | Back to Agenda Page
ASSOCIATION OF HAMPSHIRE AND ISLE OF WIGHT AUTHORITIES
4 June 1999
APPOINTMENTS TO OUTSIDE BODIES
Report by Policy Manager
(1) That appointments be made by District Council members to outside bodies as shown in the annex; and
(2) That the reporting back arrangements be noted.
The Association approved guidelines for reporting back two years ago. HIOW representatives on Outside Bodies have been reporting back, and a full report programme will be agreed with the outside bodies.
APPOINTMENT AND REPORT-BACK ARRANGEMENTS
1. HIOW's appointment and report-back guidelines are re-stated below:-
(1) The overall objective must be "the best person for the job" given that the outside bodies generally have work to do which is not political. In considering who is the best person, the need for some reasonable continuity of service on an outside body should be taken into account.
(2) If (1) is satisfied then the intention should be to achieve both a geographic and political spread amongst Association representatives. The spread should reflect the geography of the area and the political make-up of constituent authorities.
(3) If a constituent authority has a particular interest in providing a representative on a particular outside body then it should be free to state this to the Association. They will then be given preference in allocation of places if (2) is broadly satisfied.
(4) Members representing the Association should report back to the Association annually on the work of the outside body and the main issues (if any) for the Association arising from the work. Such reports should be brief and might accompany an annual report or other suitable general report on the outside body.
(5) Where the Association is represented by more than one member, they should work together to prepare a report back.
(6) Where an officer also represents the Association, the officer should normally co-ordinate the report back.
2. A reporting-back programme will now be agreed with the various outside bodies.
3. Appointments are shown in the annex. All the appointments required relate to representation of Hampshire District Councils.
A copy of the annex to this report is available on request
|Author:||Nick Goulder, Policy Manager|
|TOP OF PAGE|