Home | All about HIOW | Members and Officers | Association meeting dates | Key documents | Links | Election Results | Responses | Best Value Network | Other Useful Information
Back to 1999 Meetings Index | Back to Agenda Page
ASSOCIATION OF HAMPSHIRE AND ISLE OF WIGHT LOCAL AUTHORITIES
23 July 1999
HAMPSHIRE COUNTY STRUCTURE PLAN 1996-2011: RESPONSE TO THE PROPOSED MODIFICATIONS
Report by the County Planning Officer
1. The proposed modifications to the Hampshire County Structure Plan 1996-2011 (Review) were published on 14 May 1999. The closing date for comments was 26 June 1999. By the end of the consultation period some 2000 comments had been received from some 1100 separate respondents. A few comments are still trickling in.
2. There are a number of comments questioning the need for particular policy amendments or suggesting improvements to the wording of policies.
3. District Councils generally support the "base-line plus additional allowance" approach to housing adopted in the proposed modification. Some express concern that the housing policies fail to reflect existing regional planning policy; others suggest that the failure to distribute the additional provision fails to provide a coherent long-term framework for local plans.
4. With the exception of West Sussex County Council, adjoint strategic planning authorities object to the level of housing provision because it fails to reflect regional planning guidance. This view is shared by the Secretary of State for the Environment who has also objected to the overall housing provision on the grounds that: there is no clear justification for selecting an overall figure which is lower than regional planning guidance; no justification for selecting the figure of up to 10,000 additional dwellings; and no distribution of the additional provision.
5. Apart from detailed comments the other key message coming across from the consultation is the need to get the Structure Plan adopted as quickly as possible to avoid the problems which are already beginning to emerge because of the lack of an up to date development plan.
6. The strategic planning authorities will be considering their response to all of the comments over the summer in the hope of recommending a way forward in the autumn.
County Planning Officer
|Author:||Nick Goulder, Policy Manager|
|TOP OF PAGE|