Home | All about HIOW | Members and Officers | Association meeting dates | Key documents | Links | Election Results | Responses | Best Value Network | Other Useful Information
Back to 1999 Meetings Index | Back to Agenda Page
ASSOCIATION OF HAMPSHIRE AND ISLE OF WIGHT LOCAL AUTHORITIES
24 September 1999
WORKING TOGETHER BETTER - FOLLOWING UP A PROPOSAL FROM THE ENVIRONMENT AGENCY AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT ASSOCIATION (LGA)
Report by the Policy Manager
That the report be noted.
1. The Environment Agency and LGA are producing a joint five year plan governing the relationship between the Agency and Local Authorities. This report outlines the approach being developed locally.
2. The Environment Agency is responsible for the control of pollution affecting air, water and land. The Agency works closely with local authorities, industry and others. Its regional structure is being changed to co-incide with the Regional Assemblies. The LGA and Environment Agency are seeking "joined up" government at national, regional and local levels.
3. The relevant HIOW professional officer groups - planning officers and environmental health officers - are being asked to consider the proposals for working together better and will take any steps necessary to improve joint working.
4. The Environment Agency is taking steps to raise awareness of its work amongst local authority members and chief officers. A number of events are planned locally including a conference on a ship in the Solent on the same day as this meeting.
5. At HIOW level, we have two members on the Regional Environmental Protection Advisory Committee (Councillors Mrs Brenda Smith - New Forest District Council, and Councillor M F Cartwright - Hampshire County Council) which advises the Environment Agency. When they report back, it is proposed to invite a representative of the Environment Agency to attend the meeting of HIOW. This is likely to be in the early part of next year.
|Author:||Nick Goulder, Policy Manager|
|TOP OF PAGE|