Home | All about HIOW | Members and Officers | Association meeting dates | Key documents | Links | Election Results | Responses | Best Value Network | Other Useful Information
Back to 2000 Meetings Index | Back to Agenda Page
ASSOCIATION OF HAMPSHIRE AND ISLE OF WIGHT LOCAL AUTHORITIES
28 January 2000
THE HAMPSHIRE PLAYING FIELDS ASSOCIATION
Report-back by Councillor David Curtis (Fareham Borough Council)
1. Following my appointment as a District Council representative on the Hampshire Playing Fields Association's Executive Committee in June 1999, I have attended two meetings of that Committee and the Association's Annual General Meeting.
2. Chaired by Major N E Hearson and energetically supported by Mr Malcolm Miles, the General Secretary, the Committee is representative of many sporting, local authority and community bodies drawn from throughout the County. It is also able to call on several honorary officers for expertise and assistance in a variety of matters. In all respects it appears that the constitution of the committee is well matched to meeting the Association's stated objectives.
3. The Association continues to respond to a wide variety of requests from all corners of Hampshire. Whether it is for grants, loans or for advice and assistance, the Association responds positively, within its means, to almost every approach.
4. Whilst the Association is able to demonstrate a comfortable financial position, it is a concern that without the continuing generosity of Hampshire County Council and Portsmouth City Council this position would soon deteriorate. It is unfortunate that Southampton City Council is not continuing to contribute. As the third unitary authority in the area, it is somewhat surprising that it does not recognise the excellent value for money that the Association provides.
5. The other major outstanding matter for concern would appear to be the ongoing threat to recreational land for development. The Chairman's suggestion regarding an early warning system as stated in the annual report would seem to be well worth considering.
COUNCILLOR DAVID CURTIS
Fareham Borough Council
Note by the Policy Manager
A meeting of all District Council representatives on the Hampshire Playing Fields Association has been arranged for March 2000 so that further reports-back can be planned.
Date: 12 January 2000
Contact: Nick Goulder - 023 8068 8431, E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
|Author:||Nick Goulder, Policy Manager|
|TOP OF PAGE|