Home | All about HIOW | Members and Officers | Association meeting dates | Key documents | Links | Election Results | Responses | Officer Networks | Other Useful Information |
Back to 2001 Meetings Index | Back to Agenda Page
Paper 5 - 23 March 2001
ASSOCIATION OF HAMPSHIRE AND ISLE OF WIGHT LOCAL AUTHORITIES
23 March 2001
HOUSING FOR KEY WORKERS - PROPOSED STRATEGY
Report by the Policy Manager
(1) That the Association supports in principle the County Councilís initiatives in support of key worker housing, and in particular its wish to work in partnership to address the issue;
(2) That the Strategic Housing Officersí Group (SHOG) be asked to consider the strategy proposed by the County Council and report back.
1. Hampshire County Councilís Asset Management Sub-Committee on 18 January resolved:
"That arrangements be made for the County Councilís initiatives to be discussed at an early meeting of the Hampshire and Isle of Wight Association as part of the Community Planning initiative required under the Local Government Act 2000."
Details of the County Councilís housing initiatives are given in the committee report "Housing for Staff/Key Workers - Proposed Strategy" which is reproduced in the annex.
2. The County Council is keen to work in partnership with District Councils and Housing Associations on key worker housing. Paragraph 3.6 of the annex refers to a meeting held on 19 January with District Councils, Housing Associations, the Housing Corporation and the private sector.
3. Following the meeting on 19 January, the County Council is continuing:
* to explore the issue with the Ministry of Defence and other major landowners/ employers
* to consider opportunities for developing key worker housing on planned housing land disposals and other "windfall" sites
* to research the extent to which housing problems are creating recruitment difficulties for particular categories of staff.
4. The Chief Executivesí Group has now considered the matter and asked Bernard Sully, (Corporate Director at Test Valley Borough Council) and Tony Curtis (Director of Planning and Development at Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council) to advise on the preparation of a report following consultation with the Strategic Housing Officersí Group if members approve the recommendations.
Date: 7 March 2001
Contact: Nick Goulder - 023 8068 8431, E-mail email@example.com
|Author:||Nick Goulder, Policy Manager|
|TOP OF PAGE|