Home | All about HIOW | Members and Officers | Association meeting dates | Key documents | Links | Election Results | Responses | Officer Networks | Other Useful Information |
Back to 2003 Meetings Index | Back to Agenda Page
Paper 5 - 28November 2003 Meeting
ASSOCIATION OF HAMPSHIRE AND ISLE OF WIGHT LOCAL AUTHORITIES
28 November 2003
"EVERY CHILD MATTERS" GREEN PAPER
Report by the Director
That Members consider future joint working within the
Children and Young Peoples’ Partnerships.
1. The Government’s Green Paper "Every Child Matters" was published in September with comments requested by 1 December. The summary of the Green Paper is given in the Annex (link given below). It is not proposed that the Association makes a formal response but a number of member authorities are responding, as is the Local Government Association (LGA).
2. The purpose of the presentation today is to raise awareness and enable Members to exchange views on the issues raised in the Green Paper. The four social services authorities will be working jointly with other agencies (such as the Police) to implement changes. The District Councils also have an important role in relation to children and young people.
3. It is understood that the Government wishes to progress towards implementation of some of the proposals soon. It is possible that by the time of this meeting we shall have more information on this e.g. from the Queen’s Speech on 26 November.
4. In addition to the individual responses local authorities are sending, the LGA is working on:
Ža response with the inter-agency group with which the LGA has been working closely. Members of this group include the Association of Directors of Social Services (ADSS), Association of Chief Education Officers (ACEO), Confederation of Education Directors (Confed), Society of Local Authority Chief Executives (SOLACE), police and the children’s charities
Ža response with the Children’s Task Group (members drawn from Social Affairs and Health and Education and Life Long Learning Executives) and our key Serving Children Well partners (NHS Confederation, ACEO, Confed and ADSS).
5. This will be an important area of work between the authorities over the coming months and Members’ support is sought at this stage.
Date: 18 November 2003
Annex: this can be found at http://www.dfes.gov.uk/everychildmatters/summary.shtml
Contact: Nick Goulder - 023 8068 8431, E-mail email@example.com
|Author:||Nick Goulder, Director|
|TOP OF PAGE|