Home | All about HIOW | Members and Officers | Association meeting dates | Key documents | Links | Election Results | Responses | Officer Networks | Other Useful Information |
Back to 2004 Meetings Index | Back to Agenda Page
Paper 6 - 26 November 2004 Meeting
HAMPSHIRE AND ISLE OF WIGHT LOCAL GOVERNMENT ASSOCIATION
26 November 2004
Report by the Director
That the report be noted.
1. The Strategic Health Authority produced its latest "Blueprint for Development of Health Services in Hampshire and the Isle of Wight" in January 2004, covering the period to 2008. The summary is given in Annex 1.
2. The Unitary Authorities and County Council have been developing their health scrutiny functions in liaison with each other. The Hampshire Health Review Committee includes four District Council representatives (appointed via this Association’s Outside Bodies Appointments Panel). These are:
Councillor David Welch (Rushmoor)
Councillor Keith Evans (Fareham)
Councillor Allan Mitchell (Winchester)
Councillor Criss Connor (Basingstoke and Deane)
3. The County Council’s Health Review Committee (HRC) will be considering the attached progress report on 30 November (Annex 2). The HRC has liaised with District Councils to develop relationships in this new function for local government. Individual meetings are being arranged with each District Council by Denise Holden, the County Council’s Health Review lead officer. These will provide an opportunity for the Districts to comment on the work of the Committee and possible review topics for the coming year.
4. The County and Unitary Authorities have developed a joint scrutiny function (paragraphs 22 and 23 of Annex 2) and this will be invoked on a formal basis for some reviews:
ˇMaternity Services (SE Hampshire)
HEALTH AUTHORITY CONSULTATION EVENT
5. The Strategic Health Authority held an all-day health and scrutiny event on 10 November both for members of health scrutiny committees and for patient/public involvement bodies and individuals. Three members of district councils not represented on the HRC were invited to attend (through the Association). These were:
Councillor Maureen Sollitt, Chair of Scrutiny Panel,
Eastleigh Borough Council
Councillor Denis Gotel, Scrutiny Committee Member, Hart District Council
Councillor Sandra Hawke, Social Wellbeing Portfolio Holder, Test Valley Borough Council.
Main points from this event were:
ˇIntroduction from Jonathon Montgomery, new Chair of the HIOW Strategic Health Authority
The Health Authority has invited this Association to co-ordinate comments from those who attended for feedback to them.
6. Meanwhile, we await the imminent publication of a white paper on public health. If this is available by 26 November, initial comments will be made orally. The local authorities are very much involved in public health and the Association is included in the NHS management and liaison arrangements for staff training and development (taking in staff from both NHS and local authority sectors).
Date: 15 November 2004
Contact: Nick Goulder - 023 8068 8431, E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
|Author:||Nick Goulder, Director|
|TOP OF PAGE|