AND ISLE OF WIGHT
Home | All about HIOW | Members and Staff | Meetings | Key documents | Links | Election Results and Political Control | Representations and Responses | Officer Networks | Other Useful Information
Back to Government
Response to Government on Local Authority Health Overview and Scrutiny
Response to the Department of Health dated 8 April 2002
This Association represents all the principal councils (County, Unitary and District) in Hampshire and the Isle of Wight with the current exception of Southampton. The Local Associations of Parish and Town Councils are also members.
The Association meeting on 22 March agreed the following comments on the consultation paper dated January 2002:-
- welcomes the proposals of the consultation paper for local authorities to scrutinise health and NHS services as recognition of local government’s authority and legitimacy in representing community views
- requests that this important new role for local government is adequately funded and resourced and that additional cost to local authorities should be reflected in SSAS
- proposes that the aims of the scrutiny process (paragraph 3.1 of the consultation document) should include improvement of public health
- questions the absolute exclusion of any local authority Executive Member (including co-opted District Council representatives) when members of NHS Trust and PCT executives are not similarly disqualified (paragraph 9.9) and proposes that the same protocol about disqualification/declaration of interests should apply to both
- asks that District Councils be added to the list of organisations to receive copies of Scrutiny and NHS response reports (paragraphs 5.3 and 6.6)
- submits that provision should be made for local authority scrutiny arrangements to be able to monitor the extent that their recommendations had been implemented.
Last update: 04/08/2008